The Basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre located on Paris’ highest point has been a holy place since time immemorial. The first to worship here were the Druids of ancient Gaul. They were followed by the Romans who dedicated temples to Mars and Mercury at the same location. Since the 5th century this has been a Roman Catholic holy place. The Basilique du Sacré-Cœur designed by Paul Abadie was constructed between 1875 and 1914. It was consecrated in 1919.
all photos by Isa David-Ben-Rafael and owned by IsraeLightly